Eggs, boiled: 4
Onions: 3 (1 quartered and the remaining 2 sliced finely)
Ghee: 2 tsp
Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp (or more, to fry onions and eggs)
Bay leaf: 1
Black cardamom: 2
Green cardamom: 4
Cinnamon: 2 1/2′ sticks
Peppercorns: 1/2 tsp
Whole dry red chillies: 2
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Hung curd: 1 cup
Ginger, minced: 1.5 tsp
Garlic, chopped finely: 2 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp (plus for smearing the eggs)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder: 1/2 tsp
Kewra water: 2-3 drops
Salt, to taste
Sugar: 1 tsp
1. In a deep-bottomed pan, heat oil and fry the sliced onions till golden brown. Drain on kitchen towel and set aside. Lightly fry the boiled eggs as well smeared with a little turmeric powder.
2. In another non-stick pan, heat 1 tsp ghee and add bay leaves, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, peppercorns and whole dried red chillies. Once they start releasing aroma, say 40 seconds, add the quartered onions, ginger, garlic, coriander seeds and fry on high heat for a couple of minutes or till the onions have wilted slightly. Sprinkle a little water (if the onions are sticking to the base of the pan and fry on medium heat for another 5-7 minutes.
3. Now add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, beaten hung curd and mix everything well. Cook on medium high heat till the spice mixture releases oil. Sprinkle a little warm water and continue to cook till for another 3-4 minutes.
4. Now add the eggs and coat them well with the spice mix. Add half a cup of water, mix well, bring to a boil and then cover the pan and simmer on low-medium heat for another 5 minutes or till the gravy reaches its desired consistency. The eggs should have blended well with the spice mix by now.
5. Now uncover it, add the fried onions and mix well. Sprinkle garam masala, kewra water and the remaining ghee. Give a few food mixes till the fried onions blend well with the eggs and gravy. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Serve with paratha/chapati/rumali roti or pulao.
If you like what you see here, don’t forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the “Like” button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. 🙂