Original post: A tiramisu cannot possibly suffice as the only item for a meal. And when there’s such a decadent Italian dessert on the menu, the main also has to keep pace with it. This is an extremely simple and easy Italian rice dish which, at the same time, is sublimely delightful to your tastebuds. It takes no time to whip up, is completely fuss free but gives a light comforting feel that is not exotic but very, very soothing. If you know what I mean. It is perfect for a cold winter evening or a sunny summer afternoon.
Rice, cooked: 3 cups
Garlic, chopped: 2 tsp
Onions, chopped finely: 1.5
Capsicum, diced finely: 1
Sweet corn kernels: 1/2 cup
Peas: 1/2 cup
Chicken/Pork Sausages, diced: 6
Chicken salami, cubed: 6
Prawns: 8-10 pieces
Chicken stock/ broth: 1 cup
White wine vinegar: 2 tsp
Parmesan cheese: 1/2 cup
Olive oil: 2 tsp
Butter: 1 tsp (optional)
Salt, to taste
Dried Oregano: 1 tsp
Dried Thyme: 1/2 tsp
Dried Dill: 1/2 tsp
Dried Basil: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli flakes: 1 tsp
Mint leaves: for garnish
1. In a little bit of oil lightly fry the sausage dices, salami cubes and prawns and set aside.
2. In a non-stick pan heat oil and add onions and saute till translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. Now add the capsicum and cook covered on medium till soft.
3. Add the peas, sweet corn, sausages and salami and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the broth and cooked covered for another 2 minutes on medium.
4. Now add the cooked rice and mix well till every bit of the rice is coated well with the vegetable, sausage and broth mixture.
5. Add vinegar, salt, herbs and chilli flakes and mix till the flavours permeate well. Simmer on medium low for 5 minutes.
6. Add the cooked prawns and some parmesan shavings and give a final stir.
7. Take off heat and serve with another sprinkling of parmesan on top and some fresh mint leaves..
If you like what you see here, don’t forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the “Like” button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. 🙂